The Statement of the Central Committee of the Communist Party, Turkey on July 2016
1. July 15th coup attempt has not brought ideologically conflicting centers subject to each other, but involved at least two and even more state cliques, which have identical class identities and ideologies. It is not possible that these cliques would be totally unaware of each other’s plans and actions just like it is being impossible to dissociated them. However the attempt on 15th of July is not a bloody scenario totally planned by Erdoğan as some claimed so, but is a real coup attempt.
2. There are two dimensions of the path leading to the coup. First one, is the “fight for power” between Erdoğan supporters and Gülen Community which has gained a new dimension after the large purge of Gülen followers. This fight is getting ever deeper on both political and economical context and is also having an international dimension and different trends within the imperialist centers are supporting those factions.
3. It is the reality that most of the officers took place in the coup attempt are members of the Gulen Community and it is well known that the Community has deep and strong connections in USA. The opinion that,since Turkey has close military relations with USA as being a member of NATO, the coups in Turkey can not be made without the consent of USA is very much true. And the main reason that the high ranking members of the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) who are not happy with the AKP haven’t attempted any coup, was the support of the USA government to AKP.
4. This support has been reduced recently because of various reasons, even, some constituents have teeth in USA and some European countries, have started to get ready for Erdoğan’s purge. The uprising of the people in 2013 with the participation of the millions, the mischievous affects on the interest of the system of the tension created in society by Erdoğan and finally the failure of the Syrian policy deeply effected the relations between Erdoğan and some imperialist countries. It is not possible to consider the 15th July coup attempt without taking account this tension.
5. Coup plotters having connection abroad is not making Erdoğan a patriot or anti-imperialist. As a politician, Erdoğan largely served to the USA and international monopolies and now he is sealing some alliances and maneuvering in order to save himself as a politician loosing his grace among the powers supported him for years. His approaching to that or this international focus doesn’t change his denominational character and his ideological preferences. Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is a bourgeois politician, he is an enemy of working class, he is a counter revolutionist and he is not different than the coup plotters who want to topple him.
6. The coup attempt, regarding the powers behind, the methods which were used and ideological fundamentals, are not holding any point for the interest of the people. The opinion, that the country would have got out of difficulties if the coup have been successful is groundless. It is obvious, what an pro-American, hostile to the people coup would mean.
7. It is also nonsense to present the suppression of the coupe as a victory for the people and/or celebrate it is a democracy fest trailing AKP. This is an approach which does not question the legality of the AKP regime and ignore the class fundamentals of the things going on in the country.
8. The argument claiming that Erdoğan gained more power after this coup attempt is true to a certain extent. Without doubt, Erdoğan got a chance to inflict a heavy blow to the Gülen Community; showed himself as a victim one more time, consolidated his crowds and tested the power of some organisations associated with him. However he ended up with a seriously damaged state apparatus and he also had to face that there is not any safe bureaucracy anymore because of the transitory of the integral cliques.
9. Under these circumstances Erdoğan may totally prefer to stick his own sources within the two critical body of the state apparatus, Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) and Judiciary, and prefer to purge not only the Gülen community members but also some Kemalist constituents who used to be in alliance with him. There are serious difficulties to stick totally own sources in TSK and Judiciary even if it is relatively easier in some other parts of the bureaucracy. Erdoğan can not make this move -which means to decelerate clearly an Islamic state- real without avoiding to involve into final and absolute revenge on the both political and social levels. On the other hand Erdoğan doesn’t have any other way out to consolidate his own crowds.
10. It is possible that Erdoğan will go into the effort of mending the relations with USA and reducing the internal tension after the short period of terror and intimidation, there are already some signals showing he is getting ready for those steps. Also the expectations of CHP and HDP are in this direction. The difficulty of this option is Erdoğan will not be able to continue and do politics without tension and opening a space for his radical elements. Parliament opposition does not actually have any problem with Erdoğan and AKP.
11. In each situation there is a dissolution and multi dimensional crisis regarding the hegemony of the capital. It’s not this dissolution but the unorganised state of the working class, which is actually dangerous.
12. Another danger is the opinion, which has become popular after the coup attempt, saying Erdoğan is undefeatable. Scary scenarios are coming along with this opinion and a panic environment is being created with the speculative news which some parts of them are not real. AKP government has always been dangerous and it is clear that they are even more dangerous now. Additionally the panic environment which is created, makes the aggression of AKP legitimate. However neither AKP and Erdoğan are powerful as they claim nor Turkey is a country which could be ended or blackened in a minute. For example, during and after the “celebration”moments the number of the AKP followers were few on the streets in spite of all the calls for celebrations. The right position is, to be aware of the danger but not cause a panic, and on the contrary try to evaluate this dissolution from the point of working classes.
13. AKP and the fundamentalist threat must not be underrated at all. The period started with the sentence “secularism is not in danger” carried the country to the edge of abyss. There is a mission for the better organised and more effective opposition of the people against that considerable threat. This mission can not be performed by creating panic after all these woolgathering years. It is not acceptable that the system opposition is crowning its past carelessness by creating a panic.
14. Under these conditions the major power of AKP and Erdoğan stays to be his opponents in the political system. The politics of the system formed all its policy based on normalising, transforming, convincing AKP. It is remarkable and worrying the attitude of some politicians who claims that they are the “left” wing in the parliament.
15. Experiences during and after the 15th July exposed how cruel can be the factions in the government. We all watched how the coup plotters can make their ways cruel. Then, we saw the barbarism been staged by the government. All these can not be handled by the approach of “let them kill each other”. Unknown number of citizens have been killed and private soldiers who don’t have any idea what is going on have been lynched. People will bring the account of all these lawless actions,lynch, torture towards suspects and surrended privates and the rulers of those two factions cooperated together for years but fighting each other now will answer the public together.
16. It is not correct to explain all these cruelties with “strength”. On the contrary there is dissolution, fear and confusion on the side of the government. Spreading fear can only be passed by strong, solid and consistent steps but not with the unplanned silly actions. And this dissolution can be turn into an opportunity for the people.
17. As we always emphasize, Turkey can only be out of woods by struggle of the working class together against the class hegemony presented by dark powers but not with the dance of dark powers. We refuse all kind of analysis and positioning ignoring this reality. It is obvious that Communists will not give credit to quackery of the victory of democratic powers and cunning sayings as all become together against Erdoğan. There are some creating panic with saying “followers of sharia will cut our heads off” among the people saying the victory of democratic powers, and even this can show the dimension of confusion. We tell again, we would never become together with the representatives of the capitalist class, USA and NATO supported coups or agents of colorful revolutions. This doesnt make us weak, the thing making us weak is the unorganised state of the working class and them following fake solutions.
18. It needed to be understood one more time that how the enmity of “organising” created a gap at the people’s side, where the Gülen Community gangs which placed into the government, the interest groups, the triggers and even the mafia have been very well organised in the country. If we go further, we can say that everybody who are side with the humanitarian ideals, a classless society without exploitation must work together on the common minded, sustainable organisation. It is called as being an enemy to the people not doing it, legalising the carelessness and laziness. It is the necessity to organise, improve, and empower the class organisation which is free from the religious sects, fundamentalism, capital and imperialist centers. The ones who blessed the people’s not politicised reactions, unorganised masses, and the ones who aimed aimlessness and formlessness together with the expression of “Gezi pluralism” must have been learnt their lesson.
19. It is the only aim of the Communist Party to become an independent revolutionary organisation which can change the balances in the country, can spoil the game in such coup nights or reactionist lynch campaigns. And our ultimate call for our working people is to trust their own power, move all together and take the initiative by stopping to follow this nightmare.