URGENT! Common Appeal of the Communist and Workers’ Parties
For the Immediate Release of the leaders of the Communist Party of Sudan and all political detainees in Solidarity with Working People of Sudan [En]
The Communist and Workers’ parties that sign this statement have received verified information that in the past few days Comrade Mohamed Mokhtar Al-Khatieb, the Political Secretary of the Sudanese Communist Party, and a number of members of the Central Committee and leading cadres of the SCP have been arrested by the security forces of the regime. The party leadership was attacked following a successful mass demonstration in center of the capital Khartoum on Tuesday 16 January 2018 protesting against the rise in the price of bread.
We believe that the health and lives of the detainees of the Sudanese Communist Party are in imminent danger.
The dictatorial regime in Sudan has demonstrated that it will resort to the use of force to prevent the peaceful protesters from practising their constitutional rights to organise and participate in peaceful demonstration against the regime’s economic policies.
The arrest of the communist leaders in Sudan is coupled with the detention of opposition political leaders and activists, and the confiscation of newspapers, including Almidan, the central organ of the SCP.
The Communist and Workers’ parties co-signing this statement express their support to and solidarity with the struggle of the Sudanese people and workers for peace, democracy and social justice and demand:
- The immediate release of all political detainees;
- Freedom for Comrade Al-Khatieb and leading cadres of SCP;
- Respect of democratic rights and freedoms of the people;
- The abolition of the new economic measures introduced by the regime that will inevitably result in starving the majority of the Sudanese people.
Parties that so far have signed the Common Appeal:
- Communist Party of Australia
- AKEL, Cyprus
- Communist Party of Greece
- Iraqi CP
- Communist Party of Ireland
- Communist Party (Italy)
- Communist Party of Pakistan
- Paraguayan Communist Party
- Sudenese CP
- Communist Party USA